Grandpa Comes to Denver

Fresh off retirement, Grandpa Mulder visited us in Denver the other week. The trip was our gift, so naturally we tried to fit in as much as possible, especially on the weekend. Friday morning was a fun day, and we all re-united, me just back from Seattle, and Grandpa in from GR. This was the only time I could recall him traveling without Grandma. In the morning, we set out for the Children’s Museum. The big hit was the tool bench and work area where William could cut wood and hammer nails for hours. No trip to the museum would be complete without playing in the water, luckily for William it was a nice, warm Fall day. For lunch we fueled up at Firehouse with subs. Later in the afternoon, we had soccer for William. He’s been doing a Colorado Rush league for 2-3 year olds. Each week he gets a little bit more brave, but we are still working on kicking the ball, not carrying it!

Saturday was a big day. First was the Cider’s Day Fall Festival. We came prepared this year, apples and all. We pressed just over about a gallon of fresh cider and didn’t waste anytime gulping it down while we walked the grounds. I was happy to have Grandpa take my place on the train this year. William loved it and could have gone around in circles all day. He like to say “choo, choo, all aboard.” Next, it was donkey rides, bounce houses, and tractors. After that, we settled in for some good old fashion shows, including trick pigs and cowboy roping. Can you believe it, both Grandpa and William petted Mudslinger the pig. The boys were still going strong, but we had to call it day and make it back home for quick naps before the Rockies game. Weather was perfect for the evening ball game, and we got to the park early for bp. Linnea managed to hall in a ball but I came up short. We had great seats and William was in his element watching the game, eating treats, and going to a whole new level of sugar high. It was the perfect night and fun to watch some of the new guys cap off the season.

On Sunday, it was time to test out Grandpa’s new fly-rod setup. After getting it all rigged up, we headed out to the South Platte, near Deckers. The area and river was just beautiful and we found a great spot. Somehow Grandpa managed to cross the river, even without falling. We didn’t have much luck, I guess we should have stopped in a fly-shop or something for advice. Nonetheless, it was a great afternoon. On the way home, we took a different route and ended up going over somewhat of an unexpected mountain pass on a dirt forest service road, and were rewarded with some great views. Monday, was another fishing day, this time to my secret fishing hole on the Tarryall. William loves fishing and couldn’t be more excited. He’s getting really good at casting. For us, the wind made things a little tricky and we didn’t catch much. Grandpa did take the cake for hauling in the smallest fish I’ve ever seen. We did see some big ones though, but they were in the their Fall lethargic mode, hanging deep just above a little dam. The rest of the week, it was back to work and reality for me, while Grandpa shifted to more relaxed days around the house. They made it the Littleton museum one day, which was always a hit, and story time at the library. On Wednesday, we had burgers at Red Robbin and pizza for William. Thursday we had to say goodbye, so Grandpa could make to Wisconsin for Grandparent’s day. What a tough life! We are already looking forward to the next time, maybe even with Grandma too.