Introducing Nathanael Marvin Mulder, 7 lbs 4 oz, March 6, 2018

We welcomed Nathanael Marvin Mulder into the world at 7:50 p.m. on March 6, 2018, weighing 7 lbs 4 oz and measuring 20.5 inches long. He has soft, brown hair and dark, bluish eyes, chubby cheeks, and named in part after Linnea’s Grandpa Marvin who’s nearing 100 years of age. We praise God for blessing us with this precious gift and for his many blessing throughout the pregnancy and birth.

Linnea’s water broke at 7:30a on Tuesday, some two and half weeks before the due date. Thankfully Grandpa and Grandma B arrived extra early from their road trip (in part due to being kicked out of Walmart parking lot with their RV by the Fort Collins police!) and took care of the boys while we headed out. We didn’t set any speed records to the hospital and enjoyed a big breakfast at Einsteins before making the trek over.

At the hospital, we checked into the same facilities at St. Joseph’s where Josh and Will were born, feeling right at home. This go around was a bit different though and Linnea went for the epidural. For much of the day the contractions were spaced about 20 minutes apart and Linnea seemed quite comfortable compared to other labors. We passed the time watching a movie and some tv. Around 3 p.m. the nurses started a small oxytocin drip to speed things up some. Around 7 p.m. contractions were really picking but still not “painful.” We called the boys and said goodnight and wondering how much longer things would proceed when doctor and nurse came in at 7:30 p.m. They decided to check where the baby was because of Linnea’s history of pushing them out fast and about a minute later they were setting up the birthing station! From that point on, it was all hands on deck (yes I held one leg up per nurse’s order!), and the baby came out with one push right around 7:50 p.m. The senior doctor said it was “the perfect birth” and the room was filled with laughter and smiles.

We enjoyed what seemed a solid hour with just the two of us and baby Nathanael before all the checks and measurements. He settled right in and began feeding almost immediately. He does have a good set of lungs and makes sure you hear him if not happy. After he filled up, I held him for a while and then ran down to the cafe to get Linnea some food. They transferred us to the maternity ward soon after and we were all set up in new room around 10 p.m. It was a pretty good night overall, with feedings around 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. with a bath in between at 4 a.m.

We had pictures in the morning and then Will and Josh, along with Grandpa and Grandma, arrived around 10 a.m. The boys were all smiles and didn’t waste any time getting to know their new brother. Both wanted to hold and touch him but also wanted to make sure he was warm and had to make sure he kept his hat and blanket on. It was a fun day with the all the company and the boys let out their energy running around the hospital, playing in rotating doors, and eating food at cafe. Grandma was the designated baby holder and Grandpa the picture taker. Linnea also was able to call Great Grandpa Marvin and share the good news. He was elated and is looking forward to meeting Nathanael this summer. On some more sad news, we watched the remnants of a massive fire just two blocks away that burned an entire building down. The fire was so hot it scorched nearby cars and some hospital patients could even feel the heat in their rooms. After some supper, we enjoyed a surprise visit from our pastor and now have settled in for another night and are on the “fast-track” for release tomorrow morning after a few more tests and circumcision.

One thought on “Introducing Nathanael Marvin Mulder, 7 lbs 4 oz, March 6, 2018

  • March 8, 2018 at 11:03 am

    Great report & special pics! Can’t wait to hold the precious bundle! Yes, we are praising God with you for numerous blessings!!! Much Love, Grandma M

Comments are closed.